Please confirm size before completing the purchase (rulers on top and on the bottom of the decal image).
WATER SLIDE APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS
Prepare your wood surface by applying at least one coat of hard finish, such as varnish or lacquer. Waterslide decals may not adhere properly on satin finish.
For best results apply the decal over bright shiny surfaces. You may also apply the decals to a fully finished instrument (no need for sanding if the surface is clean and smooth).
1. Gather these materials before you start:
Bowl of warm water
2. Cut the decal roughly 1 to 2 mm around the edge of the image, the edge will be transparent once you slide it off the backing paper.
3. Once the decal is cut out, plan your placement of it on the instrument. If you are installing two decals on the same instrument, use a ruler to make sure they are positioned symmetrically. Use masking tape to mark the positions so you can easily place the wet decal(s) properly without guessing.
4. When you are ready to apply the decal, plunge it into the warm water and hold it under the surface for 30-60 seconds, until you can begin to slide the thin film off the backing paper.
5. Remove the decal from the backing and place it carefully onto the instrument. You should be able to slide it a little to centre it properly.
6. Use a paper towel to gently dab off the excess moisture and work any wrinkles and bubbles out of the decal. This takes a little time. Look at the reflection of light on the decal to help you spot the bubbles.
7. When the decal is smooth, set it aside to dry thoroughly, for at least 3 hours or more.
8. After the decal is fully dry you can apply a top coat of clear varnish to seal it permanently. You must apply several "dust coats" first and let them dry otherwise you are at risk of the decal melting. Metallic decals (Gold or Silver) are more sensitive to chemicals, water based lacquer is recommended.
More aggressive products like Nitro or polyurethane can react with the ink if they melt thru the decals protective coat, to avoid this light spray (myst coats) the first 4 coats and make sure the first coat is fully dry before you apply the next.
Step 8 is optional, but if you want the decal to be permanent, you’ll need to put sealer over it. If you think you might want to change the decoration sometime in the future, then you can leave it unsealed. It can be peeled off by lifting one edge with a razor blade and pulling the dry film up and off.